Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls

I know its been a little while since I have baked, but we just had so many goodies left over from Valentines Day, that we literally just finished eating them :)

I picked out three different recipes and gave Matty the honor of choosing the one I did. The choices were cappuccino brownies, coffee and walnut cake, and of course, cinnamon rolls. You know which ones he chose, but it was a close call between them and the cake. I didnt have any walnuts, so that left the rolls.

The interesting part about these rolls is that my mom asked me if I had any yeast, or if I knew how long I had to let them raise. I took another look at the recipe and told my mom that they didnt have to raise and there was no yeast in the recipe. Even though these are homemade, they didnt require what I guess most cinnamon rolls do require.

So what these did require was self-raising flour, salt, caster (bakers) sugar, cinnamon, butter, egg yolks, and milk for the dough; cinnamon, brown sugar, caster sugar, and butter; and for the icing, icing (powdered) sugar, cream cheese, butter, boiling water and vanilla.

It really was a surprisingly easy recipe for me. I didnt expect them to be so easy. The hardest part was rolling the dough up swiss-style as the recipe called for. And of course, rolling it out into a rectangle before the rolling part. I dont have a whole lot of room as you have probably seen, so I had to move my little "Easy Bake Oven" to have the room to roll.

I have to say, the icing was definitely the best part, and Matty and I agreed that we should just make extra of the icing and put it on everything - chicken burger, nachos and all! It was just that good! But really, the rolls were great, and Matty enjoyed one last night after dinner and we enjoyed them for breakfast this morning. Who would have thought that I would be making homemade cinnamon rolls in a kitchen barely big enough to fit me when we came to New Zealand?

Oh and this picture, surprisingly, was taken by me! I know - who knew?!? I do feel bad though, because Matty thinks he is out of a job now. But really, that was just luck I think. Matt is the real deal when it comes to the pictures!


I just wanted to also add a little note about the earthquake in Christchurch. Luckily, we were no where near the quake, so we didnt feel it, but we have some friends that did. Thankfully they are safe and alive, but definitely felt it emotionally and physically. I just want them to know that we are praying for them and for everyone else that was affected by it. Im so thankful though that our friends are safe. We also want to help in any way that we can, and will probably be giving somehow to Christchurch, we are just trying to determine how. Please join us in praying for all the people affected by the quake.

1 comment:

  1. YAY! We have power!!! I can post again!!! :)
    these look wonderful! mmm... cinnamon rolls.
    Also (YAY) i am so pleased that NZ has helped your find what you want to do... the fresh ocean breeze does that to ya. hahaha

    ReplyDelete